Thursday, July 2, 2009

Heber Valley Pow-Wow

So last Saturday Jo's parents invited her to make the 2 1/2 hr drive to Heber with them to attend the Heber Valley Pow-Wow. Of course the plan was to also stop and get some Corn on the Cob as well! Darin was at work, and well nothing else was planned so why not. I should mention here that I have lived in Utah pretty much my entire life, and even though I travel to Salt Lake City often, through Park City and Heber even I have never been to any of the spots that the Olympics in 2002 were held. I was stoked to see that I was at one of the places. I know the 2002 Olympics were like 7 yrs ago, but I still think it's a pretty cool thing. So about the Pow-Wow- never been to one before and to be totally honest, I had never even considered going before. However it was pretty kewl to listen to the music and watch their dances. I was really impressed at how much hard work goes into this. Those dancers have to be very dedicated to not only learn the dance, but prepare a costume, (there were some pretty kewl costumes) they also have to stand out in the elements be it sun rain or whatever and dance their hearts out not only to one song but to two or three. It was a very nice warm day (and I have the sunburn marks to prove it) and some of these dancers danced to 3 dances in a row. I also enjoyed seeing how young they were and how they would get right into the dance. It was pretty neat. I enjoyed the day and I would totally go to another Pow-Wow! Here are just a few pics from our lil adventure. Thanks Mom & Dad for the day away. It was very nice to spend the day with both of you, just us something we haven't been able to do for awhile!



The 2002 Olympic sign

This is one of the singing groups that was pretty close to us. These guys are very interesting to watch. And although I don't listen to this type of music, I did enjoy it.


These are the Hoop Dancers. It was fun to see the different things they did with the hoops.



This is a mixture of dancers, dancing in the circle.




No comments:

Post a Comment